- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 (1-inch-thick) slices day-old country-style bread
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 cherry tomatoes, mix of red and yellow, quartered
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup niçoise olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- calories 177
- fat 9 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 6 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 5 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 454 mg
- calcium 52 mg
How to Make It
Snap off tough ends of asparagus or trim with a knife, and peel the bottom half of the stalk, if necessary.
Place asparagus on a baking sheet, toss with olive oil, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill asparagus, perpendicular to the grates, for 3–5 minutes on each side or until just crisp-tender.
Grill the bread about 1 minute per side or until slightly charred. Cut each slice into 1-inch cubes.
Whisk vinegar, garlic, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil in a large bowl until combined. Add asparagus, grilled bread, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients; mix. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.