Grilled Asian Eggplant with Ginger Sauce
Photo: © John Kernick
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 8 Asian eggplants, then cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces and scored 2 1/2 pounds sliced lengthwise
- Purple basil, for garnish optional
- In a heatproof glass bowl, combine the water and sugar and microwave at high power for 10 seconds, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the grated ginger, vinegar, sesame oil and the 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and season with salt.
- Set a large steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Steam the eggplant in batches, cut side down, until just tender, about 4 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan. Lightly brush the eggplant all over with vegetable oil. Grill over high heat until grill marks appear, about 30 seconds per side, then transfer to a serving platter. Spoon the ginger sauce over the eggplant. Garnish with the purple basil (if using) and serve at once.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note