Grilled Artichokes and Asparagus
You can prep Steps 1 and 2 the day before and place artichokes in zip-top plastic bags in the refrigerator. The choke is the inedible prickly center of the artichoke you scoop out after boiling in water.
More From Southern Living
Grill: 15 Minutes
- 4 fresh artichokes
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Garnish: halved lemon slices
- 1. Wash artichokes by plunging up and down in cold water. Cut off stem ends, and trim about 1 inch from top of each artichoke. Remove and discard any loose bottom leaves. Trim and discard one-fourth off top of each outer leaf with scissors.
- 2. Bring artichokes and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Drain; pat dry with paper towels.
- 3. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise. Remove choke using a small spoon or melon baller. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus.
- 4. Stir together olive oil and next 3 ingredients. Brush cut sides of artichoke halves with one-third of olive oil mixture. Brush asparagus evenly with one-third of olive oil mixture, reserving remaining olive oil mixture for later use.
- 5. Grill artichokes and asparagus, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Grill artichokes, cut sides down, 10 minutes; turn and grill 5 more minutes. Grill asparagus 1 to 2 minutes; turn and grill 2 more minutes or until tender. Garnish, if desired. Drizzle with reserved olive oil mixture, if desired, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note