The dressing is amazing! I have made this salad many times for dinner parties. For a shortcut, I have used chopped apples, if I don't have time to grill them. I have used feta or cheddar cheese. Last night, I added the Sugar Curried Pecans from the Spinach-Apple Salad with Maple-cider vinaigrette recipe from this site. For the pecans, I reduced the sugar to 2 tablespoons. They are a fantastic addition!
Grilled Apple Salad
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 Gala apples (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby spinach, thoroughly washed
- 1 (5-oz.) package spring greens mix, thoroughly washed
- 3 ounces extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese, shaved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown Sugar-Cider Vinaigrette
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 4 minutes.
- 2. Coat cold cooking grate of grill with cooking spray, and place on grill. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Cut apples crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rings, cutting from one side through the other.
- 3. Grill apple rings, covered with grill lid, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Arrange spinach and spring greens mix on a serving platter; top with apples, cheese, and toasted pecans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Brown Sugar-Cider Vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note