Grillades and Grits
- 1 1/2 pounds top round steak
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups hot cooked grits
- Pound steak to 1/4-inch thickness with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Cut steak into 2-inch squares; set aside.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag. Add steak; seal bag, and shake to coat.
- Brown half of steak in 1 tablespoon butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from Dutch oven; keep warm. Repeat procedure with 1 tablespoon butter and remaining steak. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, onion, and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes and water; return steak to Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring once.
- Spoon grillades over grits, and serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note