Photo: Hector Sanchez
More From Southern Living
Total: 7 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked pepper
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 (5-lb.) whole chicken
- Kitchen string
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 medium-size assorted apples, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 pound small sweet potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Bring apple juice to a boil in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan. Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon and next 3 ingredients, stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved. Cool completely (about 20 minutes); stir in ice.
- 2. Remove neck and giblets from chicken; reserve for another use. Place chicken and apple juice mixture in a 2-gal. zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal. Place bag in a shallow baking dish, and chill 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- 3. Remove chicken from brine, discarding brine; pat chicken dry with paper towels. Tie chicken legs together with kitchen string, and tuck chicken wingtips under.
- 4. Whisk together 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Add apples and next 2 ingredients, tossing to coat. Place mixture in a single layer in a lightly greased shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with desired amount of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of apple mixture in pan.
- 5. Light one side of grill, heating to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat; leave other side unlit. Place pan over unlit side, and grill, covered with grill lid, 45 minutes. Stir apple mixture. Grill, covered with grill lid, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into chicken thigh registers 165° and vegetables are tender. (Shield after 45 minutes to prevent excessive browning.) Remove from grill, cover chicken and vegetables with foil, and let stand 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Toss apples and vegetables with pan juices to coat; sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note