This was really really good, but it felt like a lot of work. Definitely an impressive dish for guests.
Grill-Braised Clams and Chorizo in Tomato-Saffron Broth
Spanish flavors inspire this simple but intense summery braise. Saffron gives the tomato broth a nutty complexity, while the spice and heat of chorizo liven up the clams.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 25.5g
- Carbohydrate: 27.6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 13.5mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calcium: 142mg
- 3 cups hickory wood chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 7 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 poblano chile
- 1 ear shucked corn
- Cooking spray
- 4 green onions
- 1 (6-ounce) link dry-cured Spanish chorizo, cut in half lengthwise
- 24 littleneck clams (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 (3/4-inch-thick) slices Italian or French bread
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Pierce the bottom of a disposable foil pan several times with the tip of a knife. Line pan with newspaper or paper towels; place 2 cups wood chips on top of paper in pan.
- 3. Combine broth and the next 6 ingredients (through tomatoes) in a medium ovenproof saucepan. Place disposable pan on 1 side of grill rack; ignite newspaper with a long match. Place saucepan on other side of grill rack. Cover grill. Bring sauce to a simmer, and grill for 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from grill, and keep warm.
- 4. Place poblano and corn on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Add green onions and chorizo, cut sides down, to grill rack; cover and grill 4 minutes or until poblano is blackened and charred and corn is lightly charred, turning occasionally. Place poblano in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand for 5 minutes. Peel and discard skins; cut poblano in half lengthwise. Discard stem, seeds, and membranes. Chop poblano, cut kernels from corn cob, slice green onions, and dice chorizo; add to broth mixture.
- 5. Add remaining 1 cup wood chips to disposable pan. Return saucepan to grill rack. Cover grill, and simmer. Place clams on grill rack. Cover and grill for 2 minutes or until clams just begin to open. Discard unopened shells. Add clams to broth mixture; cover and grill for 4 minutes or until shells open completely. Remove saucepan from grill; stir in parsley and juice. Cover and keep warm.
- 6. Place bread on grill rack, and grill 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Ladle clam mixture into bowls. Serve with grilled bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note