Fresh corn kernels and sweet onion are stirred into the Griddle Cakes batter for this quick, savory cornbread.
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Place bacon drippings in skillet, and heat over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until drippings begin to gently smoke. Add corn kernels and onion to drippings, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly charred. Stir together cornmeal and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in corn mixture. Pour about 2 Tbsp. batter for each griddle cake onto a hot buttered griddle or into a large nonstick skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked. Turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note