Greens and Herbs Salad with Classic Vinaigrette
Most people tend to be timid about using enough salt in a vinaigrette, but the right amount—which may be different for each of us—really accents salad's "green" flavors. Prep Time: about 10 minutes. Notes: If chervil, a feathery herb with a faint licorice taste, is not available, use more tarragon. Use really flavorful olive oil and vinegar to help transform salad from ordinary to memorable.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 65
- Calories from fat: 98%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 75mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 6 cups (3 1/2 oz.) very loosely packed torn pieces of mild lettuce such as butter or oakleaf
- 1 tablespoon small torn pieces of fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon small torn pieces of fresh chervil (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon small torn pieces of fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons good-quality extra-virgin olive oil (see Notes)
- 2 teaspoons good-quality red-wine vinegar (see Notes)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- About 1/8 tsp. table salt or kosher salt
- In a salad bowl, gently combine lettuce and herbs. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and pepper. Whisk in half of salt and taste dressing with a piece of lettuce. Add salt to taste. Pour dressing over salad and mix to coat greens.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note