This was easy and good. I used Chard
Greens and Cheese Soufflé
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
This may be an updated rendition of a spinach soufflé, but it follows the same old rule: Serve it quickly--it will fall.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 124
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 396mg
- Calcium: 217mg
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen collard greens, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Place greens in a food processor, and process until finely chopped.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring frequently. Add flour, salt, hot sauce, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, and cook until thick and bubbly (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually add 1/2 cup hot milk mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add yolk mixture to pan; cook over medium-low heat 1 minute. Stir in greens and 3 tablespoons cheese. Pour into a large bowl, and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl; beat with mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg whites into greens mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spoon egg mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Place dish in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove soufflé from oven). Bake for 40 minutes or until puffy and set. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note