This was easy and good. I used Chard
Greens and Cheese Soufflé
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
This may be an updated rendition of a spinach soufflé, but it follows the same old rule: Serve it quickly--it will fall.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 124
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 396mg
- Calcium: 217mg
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen collard greens, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Place greens in a food processor, and process until finely chopped.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring frequently. Add flour, salt, hot sauce, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, and cook until thick and bubbly (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually add 1/2 cup hot milk mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add yolk mixture to pan; cook over medium-low heat 1 minute. Stir in greens and 3 tablespoons cheese. Pour into a large bowl, and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl; beat with mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg whites into greens mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spoon egg mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Place dish in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove soufflé from oven). Bake for 40 minutes or until puffy and set. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This