Green Tomato Relish
Bill's friend Leslie Jackson gave him this recipe years ago. She got it from her mother in Baton Rouge. The relish makes a nice garnish for white beans or any kind of bean soup, and Bill has lately discovered it's also a splendid sauce for fried fish fillets and grilled meats. Prep: 30 minutes; Cook: 30 minutes.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 pounds green tomatoes, washed, peeled, and chopped
- Bring vinegar to a boil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add sugar; stir until dissolved. Add allspice and next 4 ingredients. Return to a boil; cook 15 minutes. Add tomato, return to a boil, and cook 15 minutes more. Remove bay leaves. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to several weeks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note