Green Tomato Pie Filling
This delicious recipe also makes a great condiment served with roasted meat.
Yield: 6 quarts
- 17 medium-size green tomatoes, chopped (about 6 3/4 pounds)
- 10 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped (about 4 3/4 pounds)
- 1 (15-ounce) package raisins
- 1 (15-ounce) package golden raisins
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, 2 hours and 30 minutes or until tomato and apple are tender and liquid thickens.
- Pour hot mixture into hot jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 15 minutes.
- Green Tomato Pie: Roll each refrigerate piecrust from 1 (15 ounce) package into 1/8-inch thickness. Press 1 pie-crust into a 9-inch pieplate; fold edges under and crimp. Spoon 4 1/2 cups Green Tomato Pie Filling into piecrust; dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Cut remaining piecrust into 1/2-inch strips; arrange in a lattice design over filling. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake pie at 425º for 10 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350º and bake 30 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note