Green Tomato Pickles
Instead of making fried green tomatoes, use those green tomatoes for tangy, spiced pickles that are perfect with ham, pork tenderloin, or grilled chicken. The recipe makes 7 pints, so you’ll have a few jars for gifts.
- 5 pounds green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3 cups water
- Sprinkle tomato and onion with pickling salt; let stand 4 to 6 hours. Drain and pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and vinegar in a Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Place mustard seeds and next 3 ingredients on 6-inch square of cheesecloth; tie with string. Add spice bag, tomato, onion, and 3 cups water to vinegar mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until tomato and onion are tender. Remove and discard spice bag.
- Pour hot mixture into hot jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note