Green Tomato Mincemeat
- 3 pounds (about 9) small green tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3 pounds tart green apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) packages seedless raisins
- 4 (16-ounce) packages brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- Combine tomatoes and 1 cup water in a stainless steel stockpot. Bring to a boil. Drain well. Add 1 cup water; return to a boil. Drain well. Add 1 cup water; return to boil. Remove from heat, and drain tomatoes.
- Combine tomatoes and remaining ingredients in stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Quickly ladle mincemeat into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2- inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 25 minutes.
- Note: For a mincemeat pie, combine 1 quart mincemeat, 1 chopped, peeled apple, and 1 tablespoon butter; mix well. Bake as any mincemeat pie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments