- 4 quarts (about 24 large) sliced green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 pound sweet red peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound onions, finely chopped
- 1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 pints vinegar
How to Make It
Combine tomatoes and salt in a large glass, ceramic, or stainless steel container. Cover and let stand overnight; drain. Rinse and drain in 2 baths of cold water. Soak tomatoes in cold water to cover 30 minutes; drain.
Grind tomatoes into a stainless steel stockpot, using coarse blade of a meat grinder. Stir in remaining ingredients, and cook, uncovered, over medium high heat 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Quickly ladle chow chow into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2- inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process chow chow in boiling-water bath 15 minutes.