We like the tang and body that green tomatoes give this comforting stew.
Southern Living FEBRUARY 2013
1. Chop 3 tomatoes and 1 poblano pepper, and place in a large bowl. Stir in cilantro and next 3 ingredients. Process mixture, in 2 batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Coarsely chop remaining tomatoes and peppers, and place in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
3. Trim and discard fat from pork. Cut pork into 2-inch cubes. Combine pork and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with flour, and toss to coat.
4. Cook pork, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Place pork over tomato mixture in slow cooker. Pour pureed tomato mixture over pork.
5. Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 7 hours or until pork is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chile verde with tortillas and Green Tomato Salsa.
Go to full version of