- 4 medium-size green tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), cored and quartered
- 10 fresh tomatillos (about 15 oz.), husks removed and cored
- 2 green onions
- 3/4 cup vodka*
- 1/2 cup loosely packed assorted fresh herbs
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons green hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Garnishes: halved pickled okra, lemon slices
How to Make It
Cook first 2 ingredients in boiling salted water to cover 3 minutes; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
Process tomatoes, tomatillos, green onions, and next 7 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a pitcher, discarding solids. Serve over ice. Garnish, if desired.
*Tequila may be substituted.
Note: We tested with Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce.