Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt divided
- 1/4 cup(s) arborio rice
- 1 pound(s) greens (swiss chard, kale, etc.)
- 14 cup(s) gently packed spinach about 12 oz.
- 4 cup(s) vegetable broth
- Big pinch(s) cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice or more to taste
- 1. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add onions and 1/4 tsp. salt; cook, stirring until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add 2 T water and cover. Cook stirring frequently, until onions are greatly reduced and have a caramel color, 25 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine 3 cups water, remaining 3/4 tsp. salt, and rice in soup pot or dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Trim ribs and tough stems from the greens and spinach; discard. Coarsely chop greens and spinach.
- 3. When rice has cooked 15 minutes, stir in greens. Return to a simmer; cover and cook 10 minutes. When onions are caramelized, stir a little greens simmering liquid into them; immediately add them to rice along with spinach, broth and cayenne. Return to a simmer, cover, and cook until spinach is tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes more.
- 4. Puree soup in pot with immersion blender until perfectly smooth, or in regular blender in batches. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with olive oil.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MerryAnn and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note