Green Peas With Crispy Bacon
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Southern Living
- 4 bacon slices
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (16-oz.) bags frozen sweet green peas, thawed*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Garnish: orange rind curls
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Sauté shallots in hot drippings over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in orange rind, orange juice, pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add peas, and cook 5 minutes; stir in mint and butter.
- Transfer peas to a serving dish, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Garnish, if desired.
- *6 cups shelled fresh sweet green peas may be substituted. Cook peas in boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain and proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables