Green Peas With Crispy Bacon
- 2 smoked bacon slices
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen sweet green peas, thawed*
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Garnishes: fresh mint sprig, orange rind curl
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Sauté shallot in hot bacon drippings over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in orange rind, orange juice, pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add peas, and cook 5 more minutes; stir in butter and mint.
- Transfer peas to a serving dish, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Garnish, if desired.
- *3 cups shelled fresh sweet green peas may be substituted for frozen. Cook peas in boiling water 5 minutes, and proceed with recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables