Green Pea-and-Asparagus Risotto
Yield: Makes 4 servings (about 3 cups)
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (short-grain)
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes. Stir in rice, and microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent). Microwave at HIGH 9 minutes. Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering (to incorporate the mixture), and microwave at HIGH 8 minutes. Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap. Stir in cheese and 1/4 cup chicken broth, stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy. Add 1/4 cup additional broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Meanwhile, snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus, and cut into 2-inch pieces. Sauté asparagus in a lightly greased nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; stir in green peas. Stir asparagus mixture, chopped fresh mint, lemon zest, and lemon juice into prepared risotto. Serve immediately.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Rice Select Risotto Italian-Style Rice, an 1,100-watt microwave oven, and a 2 1/2-liter glass bowl. We found that self-sealing plastic wraps, such as GLAD Press'n Seal, do not work in this application.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note