i made these at the same time as the cardamon sour cream cake in a flowerpot. this recipe was fun and tasty, plus they made nice gifts.
Green Onion Corn Muffins in Flowerpots
Notes: If making up to 1 day ahead, remove muffins from pots after step 5 and cool on racks, then wrap airtight and store at room temperature. To reheat, set muffins slightly apart in a baking pan, cover loosely with foil, and bake in a 350° oven just until warm, 7 to 10 minutes. Return muffins to pots to serve. Offer butter with muffins. You may also bake the muffins in 8 muffin cups (2 1/2-in. diameter), either well buttered or lined with paper baking cups.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 211
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 5.9g
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 443mg
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- 8 unglazed terra-cotta pots (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 in. tall and 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 in. wide, about 1/2-cup capacity)
- 8 pieces (7 1/2 in. square) cooking parchment
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1. Wash pots with soap and water, and dry well. Line pots with cooking parchment: Gently push center of a square into each pot; bend parchment edges outward slightly over edges of pots.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar until well blended. Add flour mixture, yogurt, onions, and melted butter; stir just until batter is evenly moistened.
- 4. Spoon batter equally into lined pots, filling pots almost to the top. Sprinkle with caraway seed. Set pots slightly apart in a 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- 5. Bake muffins in a 400° regular or 375° convection oven until tops are lightly browned and centers are firm to touch, 18 to 20 minutes. Let muffins cool in pots 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6. Serve warm, or invert pots to remove muffins and lay on their sides on racks to cool. Serve muffins in parchment liners.
- Nutritional analysis per muffin.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note