Really good! Next time I will try to substitude the duck with chicken. Cheaper and cooks faster. The taste of the duck gets completely lost in the curry...
Green Curry Duck and Potatoes
Notes: Look for Thai green curry paste and fish sauce in Southeast Asian markets or well-stocked supermarkets. If you can't find green curry paste, whirl until smooth in a blender or food processor 6 cloves garlic, 3 tablespoons chopped onion, 1 packed tablespoon fresh cilantro, 2 teaspoons each chopped fresh ginger and salad oil, and 1 teaspoon each hot chili flakes, grated lemon peel, and anchovy paste.
- 1 duck (about 5 lb.), cut into pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup purchased Thai green curry paste
- 2 cans (about 14 oz. each) reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla) or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- About 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cilantro sprigs and salt
- 1. Simmer duck meat. In a 6- to 8-quart pan, combine duck, broth, and 2 tablespoons curry paste. Cover pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until leg meat is tender enough to pull from bones, about 2 hours. Lift out duck and let cool to touch. Skim and discard fat from broth. Reserve 1 1/4 cups broth; use remainder for other dishes. Pull meat from bones; discard fat, skin, and bones. Tear meat into bite-size pieces. If making up to 2 days ahead, cover broth and meat airtight and chill.
- 2. Make green curry sauce. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, mix the 1 1/4 cups duck broth, remaining curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, curry powder, and chili flakes. Bring to boiling on high heat, then add potatoes. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Add duck meat and simmer gently until hot, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in minced cilantro. Ladle into wide bowls, garnish with cilantro sprigs, and add salt to taste.
- Per serving: 579 cal., 28% (162 cal.) from fat; 33 g protein; 18 g fat (8.9 g sat.); 59 g carbo (fiber not available); 874 mg sodium; 99 mg chol.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note