Green Chile Pork Stew
Community Recipe from
- 4 pound(s) boned pork shoulder ( butt) fat trimmed and cut in 2 in. pieces
- 2-3 tablespoon(s) oil as needed
- 3 onions cut into 3/4 inch wedges
- 5 clove(s) large, garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 can(s) 28 oz. peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 can(s) 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pound(s) Anaheim or Poblano chiles (about) 10) peeled and chopped or 4 cans (7 oz) whole green chiles drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped oregano leaves
- salt and pepper
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- In a 6-8 quart pan, combine pork with 1/3 cup water Cover and cook over medium high heat stirring occasionally, until meat is very juicy.15-20 mins. Uncover, increase heat to high and cook stirring often until liquid is evaporated and meat is browned, 20-30 mins. Lift out meat and set aside
- Reduce heat to medium. If you have left over rendered pork fat in the pan discard all but 3 tbsp, if not add oil. Add onions, garlic, and cumin; stir and cover. cook stirring occasionally until onions are soft. about 8 min.
- Return meat and any accumulated juices to pan. Add tomatoes (with their juice) and broth. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Bring almost to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook one hour.
- Stir in chiles and oregano. Cover and cook until pork is very tender when pierced and flavors are blended, about 15 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges to squeeze over chile.
- To peel chiles remove stems, slice in half lengthwise, then remove the ribs and seeds. Lay cut side down on a cookie sheet and broil 4-5 in from heat until black and blistered. 5-8 mins Let chiles cool then peel
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Carr1031 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes