- 1 chicken (3 to 4 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1 lb.) frozen corn, defrosted and drained
- 2 green bell peppers, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- 4 Anaheim or New Mexico green chiles, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- 4 serrano chiles, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 cans (12 to 15 oz. each) posole or hominy, drained
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) white beans, drained
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatillos, drained and roughly chopped
- Lime wedges, chopped cilantro, and tortilla chips
- calories 480
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 31 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 3.7 g
- carbohydrate 52 g
- fiber 10 g
- sodium 1940 mg
- cholesterol 64 mg
How to Make It
Put chicken in a large pot with bay leaves, peppercorns, and 2 tsp. salt. Add water to cover chicken by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, adding water as needed to keep chicken covered, until chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Pour broth through a strainer and reserve; discard spices. When broth is cooled, skim off as much fat as you can.
Preheat oven to 400°. Spread corn in a baking pan and roast until it begins to turn bronze, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Reset oven heat to broil. Arrange peppers and chiles, cut side down, in 2 baking pans and broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat until skins are black, 5 to 8 minutes (remove each as it blackens). Let cool, then peel and coarsely chop.
Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, spices, and remaining 3 tsp. salt and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, 4 minutes. Add peppers, chiles, and corn and cook 3 minutes. Add posole, beans, tomatillos, and 7 cups of reserved cooking broth; freeze remaining broth for later use. Bring stew to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and discard. Use 2 forks to shred meat off bone. Add meat to pot and simmer until chicken is warmed through, about 10 minutes. Serve topped with lime wedges, cilantro leaves, and tortilla chips.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.