Made exactly as written and it was pretty good. Next time I would use fewer tortillas and make more sauce as it was a little dry. On second night to "fix up" the leftovers, I mixed half a can of Rotel, 2 tbs. tomato paste and about 1 1/2 cups of half and half in sauce pan. Then poured it all over the remaining casserole and put back in 325 oven for 20 minutes and it was a huge improvement. Yum!
Green Chile-Chicken Casserole
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
Just about every New Mexican home has a favorite version of this chicken casserole recipe. This one features the convenience of canned cream of chicken soup, and you can make it a day ahead.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 335
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Carbohydrate: 34.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 693mg
- Calcium: 270mg
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cooking spray
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles