This recipe already has plenty of reviews but just want to add a few things. I didn't have tortillas so substituted Tostitos and then used less salt. I used regular cream of chicken.and added lots of chopped cilantro. I used a can of diced tomatoes w/ gr chilies plus the can of chopped green chilies both undrained and then omitted the chicken broth. It wasn't dry at all and certainly not bland. My husband couldn't get enough of it. Even after I put away the leftovers I caught him in the fridge with a spoon getting "just one more bite".
Green Chile-Chicken Casserole
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
Just about every New Mexican home has a favorite version of this chicken casserole recipe. This one features the convenience of canned cream of chicken soup, and you can make it a day ahead.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 335
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Carbohydrate: 34.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 693mg
- Calcium: 270mg
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cooking spray
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles