So many great reviews?? Way too many tortillas and not enough filling. I know the quantity of tortillas are to absorb the liquid but they should call this Corn Tortilla Casserole. To make it more stars IMHO, eliminate the broth, halve the tortillas, up the amount of chicken and cheese (yes, the calories go up) and add drained Rotel, drained black beans, maybe corn, cilantro... More cumin, maybe some chili powder. Also, it took 45 minutes in the oven to get it bubbly and then I let it sit for 15 minutes so it wasn't so runny-yes runny, and yes, I followed the recipe.
Green Chile-Chicken Casserole
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
Just about every New Mexican home has a favorite version of this chicken casserole recipe. This one features the convenience of canned cream of chicken soup, and you can make it a day ahead.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 335
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Carbohydrate: 34.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 693mg
- Calcium: 270mg
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cooking spray
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles