- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 7 cups cornbread crumbs*
- 6 cups biscuit crumbs (we tested with Pillsbury Frozen Buttermilk Biscuits)
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, tossing well. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until toasted; set aside.
Combine 1 1/2 cups cheese and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Add broth, stirring just until moistened. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and reserved pecans.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Garnish, if desired.
*1 (28-ounce) package of frozen Sister Schubert's Southern Cornbread is equivalent to the 7 cups of cornbread crumbs needed in this recipe. Otherwise, look for baked cornbread in your supermarket deli.