I love this recipe! It tastes as if I went to a lot of trouble, but I didn't have to. I serve it with chicken or salmon and a rice or potato dish. Everyone raves about it. The beans cooked just fine in 20 minutes, so I'm wondering if the reviewer whose beans didn't cook set the temp. wrong. Hint: trying using fresh sourdough/walnut breadcrumbs--kills two birds with one stone.
Green Beans with Toasted Walnuts and Breadcrumbs
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr, Jan Gautro, Leigh Ann Ross
Toast fresh breadcrumbs in flavorful olive oil and combine them with chopped toasted walnuts to add texture to this heart-healthy side dish.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 159
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 2.6mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 277mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 (1-ounce) slices French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Place shallots and beans in a small roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; toss. Sprinkle mixture evenly with salt and sugar; toss to combine. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
- 3. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/2 cups. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs to pan; cook 5 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in the cheese and remaining ingredients. Add breadcrumb mixture to beans; toss to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Green Beans with Toasted Walnuts and Breadcrumbs Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This