Green Beans with New Potatoes Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
- Green Beans with New Potatoes Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
- Recipe Summary
- Difficulty: Easy
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- User Rating:
- 3 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/4 pound salt pork, sliced
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 12 small red potatoes
- 1 onion, cut into slivers
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, sliced
- Ground black pepper
- Remove the ends from the beans. Snap the beans in 2 pieces, place into a colander, wash, and set aside to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast iron Dutch oven, lightly brown the salt pork in the bacon grease over medium heat, turning often, for approximately 10 minutes. Toss the green beans into the pot, stirring them with a wooden spoon to coat well with the pork fat. Add the broth and House Seasoning. Cook over medium-low heat, covered tightly, for approximately 30 minutes, or until the beans are half done.
- While the beans are cooking, peel a center strip from each new potato with a potato peeler. At the end of 30 minutes, add the potatoes and onion to the beans; add 1/4 cup more broth, if needed. Cook, covered tightly, until the potatoes are tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes, periodically checking the pot to make sure a small amount of liquid remains. When the potatoes are tender, tilt the lid slightly, off to the side of the pot, and continue to cook until the green beans are wilted, approximately 15 minutes. While cooking, add the butter and season with pepper.
- House Seasoning:
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Green Beans with New Potatoes Recipe courtesy Paula Deen Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables