Green Beans with Mushrooms
Photo: Maria Robledo; Styling: Anna Last
Sautéed mushrooms deliver flavor without the sodium overload of canned cream of mushroom soup. Crispy onions are a must-have; just fry them in olive oil.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 143
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Sodium: 271mg
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 5g
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin rings and separated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup 1 percent milk
- 1 pound frozen green beans, thawed
- In a bowl, toss the onion with 1 tablespoon of the flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of flour over the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the milk and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring, until mixture begins to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Add green beans and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with the onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables