I agree with the previous reviewer, way too sweet and maybe I should have read that post before making this dish. I can see how the addition of the yellow mustard would make it much better. I will not make it again - didn't really like the flavors together. I also rushed it and toasted the mustard seeds over high but it still took much longer than about 1 minute for the mustard seeds to start to pop. And they weren't crunchy for some reason like another reviewer mentioned. Hmmmm, maybe I should give this another try? But then again it did leave an overly sweet odor in the kitchen. I think if one likes these types of flavors and with the modifications mentioned it would be a "keeper"!!
Green Beans with Honey-Mustard Glaze
Photo: Michael Paul
Add family-friendly flavor to this green bean side dish recipe by adding a few twists to the classic recipe.
Yield: 8 servings, with leftovers
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calcium: 69mg
- Calories: 99
- Calories from fat: 0%
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Fat: 1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Iron: 1mg
- Protein: 3mg
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Sodium: 2mg
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- To make it...
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop in the green beans and cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender but still crisp. Drain. (Can be made ahead to this point. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Place in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate.) Dry the saucepan and return it to the stove. Toast the mustard seeds over low heat just until they pop, about 1 minute, stirring to prevent scorching. Add the honey and vinegar and cook until the sauce boils and becomes syrupy. Add the green beans and toss.
- To fake it...and save 15 minutes
- Thaw three 9-ounce packages whole green beans under warm running water. Place in a skillet with 1/2 cup bottled honey-mustard salad dressing. Over medium heat, toss until heated through, adding more dressing if necessary to lightly coat all the green beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Green Beans with Honey-Mustard Glaze Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- OCCASION: Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Real Simple
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables