I've been making this recipe at holiday time since it first appeared in Cooking Light over 10 years ago. It's simple and straightforward, but it looks fancy and pretty with the pearl onions. It also can be made ahead. It's always a hit.
Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
Prepare the onions up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate. Add them to the green beans in a last-minute sauté just before serving. The onions are thawed to reduce the liquid that can splatter in the hot pan.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 89
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 15.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 249mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pat onions dry with paper towels; add to pan. Increase heat to medium-high; sauté onions 5 minutes. Add sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 15 minutes or until onions are tender and golden brown. Spoon into a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add beans; sauté 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note