Green Beans With Caramelized Garlic
Gently cooking the garlic in oil mellows the flavor and tenderizes the cloves. Once you've removed the cloves, store garlic-infused oil in a jar in the fridge up to one month to add garlicky goodness to other dishes.
More From Southern Living
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Peel garlic cloves, and place in a small saucepan with olive oil. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 6 to 7 minutes or until tender and golden. Remove garlic, using a slotted spoon. Reserve garlic and 2 Tbsp. garlic oil; store remaining oil in refrigerator.
- 2. Cook beans in boiling salted water to cover in a Dutch oven 8 to 9 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into salted ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 3. Sauté bell pepper in 2 Tbsp. hot reserved garlic oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add beans and garlic cloves, tossing to coat; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Toss beans with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note