Green Beans with Almond-and-Lemon Brown Butter
Photo: Quentin Bacon
Add rich, nutty flavor to green beans by topping the steamed beans with a mixture of browned butter and toasted almonds.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 189
- Calories from fat: 76%
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Sodium: 126mg
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl.
Meanwhile, brown the butter: Melt the butter in a skillet or small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl or stir the butter with a wooden spoon as it starts to foam and sputter. Remove the butter from the heat as soon as it begins to turn golden brown and smells nutty, about 1 minute.. Add the lemon juice, almonds, and salt. Swirl skillet over heat for 30 seconds more to toast the almonds. Spoon the mixture over the green beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note