- 1/2 pound smoked ham hocks
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh whole green beans, trimmed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 bay leaf
- Freshly ground pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to Make It
Bring ham hocks and chicken broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven; reduce heat to low, and simmer about 20 minutes.
Add green beans and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer about 30 minutes or until beans and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, if desired. Add salt to taste.