I used this as the basis of an updated version of an old SL fav from the 1990's and used steamed brussels sprouts for green beans and chestnuts for the walnuts, honey for the cane syrup. I did not chill, served at room temp.
Green Beans with Citrus and Pecans
Photo: Jody Horton; Styling: Heather Chadduck Hillegas
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cane syrup
- 2 pounds haricots verts (thin green beans)
- 2 oranges, sectioned
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 3. Pat beans dry with paper towels. Place beans and orange segments in a zip-top plastic freezer bag; add vinaigrette, and seal bag. Turn bag to coat beans and oranges. Chill 2 hours. Sprinkle with pecans before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note