This was my first try at caramelized shallots, and they were really good. I used regular green beans instead of haricots, and had to boil them for awhile longer. I also subbed apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar since that is what I had on hand.
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
More From Southern Living
Total: 30 Minutes
- 2 pounds haricots verts (tiny green beans), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shallots, halved lengthwise and peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 2. Melt butter and brown sugar with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add vinegar, and sauté 10 minutes or until shallots are golden brown and tender.
- 3. Increase heat to medium-high; add green beans, and sauté 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables