I prefer taragon to thyme for seasoning.
Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Walnuts
Photo: José Picayo; Styling: Philippa Brathwaite
More From Cooking Light
Total: 46 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 12.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 128mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Cook the green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water, and drain well.
- 2. Place walnuts in a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat 7 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan frequently. Remove walnuts from pan; set aside. Add 4 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and thyme to pan; cook 17 minutes or until onion is very tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove onion mixture from pan; keep warm.
- 3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add green beans; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Add onion mixture and vinegar to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, tossing to combine. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with nuts, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables