This is my favorite food ever, let alone my favorite soup recipe. I love it!!! Cooking the ham for at least an hour, and adding the summer savory really are the key. Otherwise it is hard to screw this one up. Summer savory can be difficult to find. You may need to ask for help at the grocery store. Often it comes in a little bag, not in one of the standard plastic spice bottles.
Green Bean Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 Meaty Ham Bone (Store Ham will work fine) About 1 pound.
- 2 quart(s) Water
- 1 Large Onion
- 2-3 cup(s) green beans Cut 1" long
- 4 carrots (Large) quartered and sliced
- 4 Large Potatoes Diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) Fresh Parsley Finely Chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) Summer Savory (This is the key)
- 1 cup(s) Cream
- In a large Kettle, cook ham bone with water. Add onion and continue boiling until meat is very tender, 2-3 hours. Remove meat from the bone and cut into bite sized pieces. Return meat to stock, adding more water if necessary. Add green beans, carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, and sumer savory. Simmer another 30 min until veges are tender. Stir in cream. Ready to serve.
- Note: Boiling the ham for at least an hour prior to adding anything else, and adding the summer savory are the keys to getting the right flavor in this soup. If you do those two things, it is hard to mess up the recipe in any other way.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ZacAndAmber and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Green Bean Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews