- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Trim beans, and cut into bite-size pieces. Bring beans and 1/4 cup broth to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove beans with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
Bring remaining broth to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil), keeping warm over low heat.
Add butter, chopped onion, and garlic to broth in Dutch oven; cook 3 minutes. Add rice and white wine, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Reduce heat to medium.
Add 1 cup simmering broth to rice mixture in Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat procedure with remaining broth, 1 cup at a time. (Cooking time is about 15 to 20 minutes.)
Stir in beans, thyme, pepper, and Parmesan cheese; serve immediately.
Asparagus Risotto: Substitute 1 pound fresh asparagus for green beans. Proceed as directed.