Green Bean Fries with Spicy Mayo
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Robyn Valaryk
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 274
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 4.7g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sodium: 329mg
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- About 3 cups vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 375° on a deep-fry thermometer. Reduce heat to low if it gets too hot.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside. Mix 1/2 cup flour, the cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Put remaining 1/2 cup flour in a second bowl and buttermilk in a third bowl.
- 3. Working with about 10 beans at a time, dust beans with flour, dip in buttermilk, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, breaking clumps apart as needed.
- 4. Carefully drop beans into hot oil, turning to keep them from sticking. Fry beans until golden brown, about 3 minutes, increasing or reducing heat as needed to keep oil at 350°. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to a tray lined with paper towels. Serve with spicy mayo on the side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note