Green Bean Casserole with Tomatoes & Mozzarella Cheese
This is a nice variation to the Green Bean Casserole. It has a bit of a fresher, lighter feel than your traditional Green Bean Casserole (with cheese, heavy cream and sour cream don't ask me why, but it does). I tend to go a little heavier on the cream and sour cream to get slightly more sauce. (I found this recipe on the net at About.com).
Yield: 6 servings
Community Recipe from
- 1 1/2 pound(s) Fresh whole green beans
- 2 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 8 ounce(s) Mozzarella cheese Shredded
- 2 tablespoon(s) Butter
- 1/4 cup(s) Yellow onion Finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon(s) Flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup(s) Sour cream
- 1 cup(s) Buttered bread crumbs or French fired onions Crumbled
- 1. Butter an 11 x 17 inch baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Snap the beans into 1 inch pieces. Cook or steam the beans until just tender. Drain and arrange in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the diced tomatoes and shredded cheese. Set aside.
- 3. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, Melt butter. Add onion and saute until tender. Stir in flour and form a roux. Let cook until the strong smell of flour subsides. Add the cream, sour cream, salt and pepper. Heat through, stirring constantly.
- 4. Spread the cream mixture over the green beans and top with your bread crumbs or french fried onion. Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and bubbly.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CraigfromSC and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note