This was disappointing. I loved the idea of fresh green beans for a fresher taste and crunchy texture, but the sauce was so boring--and definitely not worth all that stirring. It made me wish I had just steamed the beans and sauteed with mushrooms instead of going through all of this. That being said, it looked lovely in the casserole pan. I was very excited to taste it when it came out, but alas... I dare to say I'd rather splurge and have the fattier old comfort food taste of the Campbell's original.
Home-style Green Bean Casserole
This essential holiday casserole gets a much-needed makeover from fresh veggies and a lightened, but super-rich homemade sauce.
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 168
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 18.5g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 296mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Ranch dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup French fried onions, crushed
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover in a Dutch oven 4 to 6 minutes or to desired degree of doneness; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
- 2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and whisk in buttermilk and next 4 ingredients.
- 3. Melt 1 tsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, and sauté 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Gently toss mushrooms and green beans in buttermilk sauce. Place in a 13- x 9-inch or 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Combine French fried onions and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle over green bean mixture.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles