Would not make again as written, not flavorful. True, beans need to cook longer if you do not like them "al dente".
Green Bean Casserole with Madeira Mushrooms
Here's a deliciously updated version of the classic, with fresh green beans and wine-infused mushrooms. We just had to keep the fried onion topping, which is arguably the best part.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 173
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 18.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 249mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (about 2 ounces) canned fried onions (such as French's)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Place beans into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well. Place beans in a large bowl; set aside.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and thyme to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently. Stir in wine, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Add mushroom mixture to green beans; toss well. Place green bean mixture in a 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish. Combine fried onions and grated cheese in a small bowl. Top green bean mixture evenly with fried onion mixture. Bake at 425° for 17 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note