my go-to for thanksgiving - i swap fried onions for the stuffing (minus the egg wash). It was popular with even with picky eaters who scowl at the mention of Swiss cheese. I could see how it considered be a little bland without a little extra seasoning or topping.
Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole is a favorite on holiday tables. Topping the dish with a savory stuffing mix adds seasonal flavor.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup).
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 18.7g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 382mg
- Calcium: 169mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-sodium, reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (9-ounce) packages frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 teaspoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk, stirring until blended. Stir in cheese, sour cream, sugar, and salt; cook 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Place green beans in an 8-inch square baking dish; pour the sauce over beans. Combine stuffing mix, margarine, and egg white in a bowl; stir well, and sprinkle over green bean mixture. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Green Bean Casserole Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Casseroles