This recipe turned out great! I used fresh green beans. The bright green beans with the red bell pepper was very pleasing to the eye. Some may think these vegetables are bland but they were just how I like them. I made them to go with my ham balls and oven roasted sweet potatoes with onion for New Years Day. Scrumptious!
Green Bean-and-Red Bell Pepper Toss
Beth Dreiling Hontzas
Substitute 1 lb. trimmed green beans for the slender French beans.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (8-oz.) packages French green beans
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add green beans, bell pepper strips, and remaining ingredients, tossing to coat. Add 1/4 cup water.
- 2. Cook, covered, 4 to 6 minutes; uncover and cook, stirring often, 1 to 2 more minutes or until water is evaporated and beans are crisp-tender.
- Sugar Snap Peas-and-Red Bell Pepper Toss: Substitute 1 lb. trimmed sugar snap peas for green beans. Proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note