Green Apple Sauvignon Blanc Sorbet
Sauvignon Blanc's characteristic green-apple flavors blend seamlessly with the fruit itself. This dessert, and the other recipes on this page, are a sneak preview of my upcoming book, The Apple Cookbook: 100 Sweet and Savory Recipes (W.W. Norton & Company, fall 2011).
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 97
- Calories from fat: 0%
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 70mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 pound tart green apples such as Granny Smith, cored and cut in 1-in. chunks (leave peels on)
- 3/4 cup chilled Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1. Heat 1 cup water, the sugar, and apples in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat to a low boil, then reduce heat to low, partially cover pan, and gently simmer until apples are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in wine, salt, and lemon juice.
- 2. Mash mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a food mill into a bowl to remove skins. Whisk to blend evenly.
- 3. Pour purée into a shallow 9- by 13-in. baking dish and put in freezer 20 minutes. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. For a firmer texture, transfer to an airtight container and freeze another 8 hours before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note