This was pretty good. I wouldn't serve it to company, but it was a good weeknight recipe. I was surprised that the shells were also edible. I was out of feta, so I used a combo of blue cheese and mozzarella.
Greek-Style Stuffed Eggplant
Serve stuffed eggplant as a hearty side dish or an easy meatless main dish recipe.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed eggplant half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 250
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 11.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35.3g
- Fiber: 10.3g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 906mg
- Calcium: 246mg
- 2 eggplants, cut in half lengthwise (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (1-ounce) slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Carefully remove pulp from each eggplant, reserving shells. Coarsely chop pulp to measure 6 cups. Place eggplant shells, cut sides down, in a 10-inch square baking dish. Add water to dish. Cover and microwave at high 5 minutes or until shells are tender. Keep warm.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add eggplant pulp; saute 7 minutes. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in tomato, wine, and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add feta, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Spoon 3/4 cup eggplant mixture into each eggplant shell.
- Place the bread slices in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and Parmesan, stirring well. Sprinkle 1/4 cup breadcrumb mixture over each stuffed shell. Arrange shells on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables