Love this salad, I do cut in half for family size portion. Lemon is important ingredient.
Greek-Style Picnic Salad
For authentic Greek flavor, substitute two teaspoons chopped fresh oregano for dried.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 288
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Carbohydrate: 41.8g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 713mg
- Calcium: 110mg
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 cups bagged prewashed spinach (about 8 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 10 lemon wedges (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool to room temperature; set aside.
- Combine boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Combine rice, tomatoes, spinach mixture, cheese, and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas). Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with nuts; serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note