Great taste and easy to do. Yum!
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sodium: 675mg
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 halibut fillets (about 4 oz. each)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon ouzo or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced or chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1. Heat a 12-in. nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp. oil. Rub halibut with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Lightly brown fish in frying pan on one side only, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. Add remaining oil to frying pan along with fennel and ouzo. Cook, stirring frequently, until light golden and almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- 3. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, chickpeas, remaining salt and pepper, and the oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Lay halibut fillets, browned side up, in sauce and simmer until fish is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note